Monday, July 22, 2013

Global Fellows 2013-Brazil: A Blending of Cultures with an Outcome of Appreciation


Global Fellows 2013-Brazil: A Blending of Cultures


Ótimo! This is the one word I would choose to describe my experience in Brasil. It is from the latin word optimus meaning best, or “the ultimate.” In Portuguese, it is used to describe something as being great or excellent. I used it everyday in Brazil, and the locals would giggle or smirk, respectfully, in a “that’s cute that she is trying so hard to use our language” sort of way. It didn’t stop me from using it, as it was really how I felt. I used it after a delicious meal, a beautiful performance, or an amazing sight, and there were many of those.

This trip changed my life. The experiences I was able to encounter in this beautiful country are deeper than I can explain in words.  Thankfully I have photos and art I brought back to help me tell the story.
What about Brasil was so great? Now that I have had the time to reflect on my experiences, I can tell you that it was the people. It wasn’t only the people of Brasil that were brilliant; it was the people with which I traveled.

It isn’t everyday that you get to discover another country with nearly 50 people that feel as passionate about education as you do, so I made a point to sit by someone different at every meal, every presentation, and every bus ride. Knowing that we all had something unique to offer one another, I became my goal to make as many life-long friends as possible, all the while reflecting on our experiences together. In every conversation, I always found some connection that we shared. I think if we try hard enough, we will find that true in any meeting.

So how is it that nearly 50 people from all over the nation can travel together as one in search of understanding a new country? It is simple, really. We experienced Brasil with people that value the same things that we do. Together, we appreciated the same things, but from a different perspective. It was through these different perspectives that the tour was made so much richer, and for that I am so thankful.

We travel to discover ourselves. On this trip, we helped each other discover themselves, and in this process we discovered each other. 


Here is a video I put together that highlights some of our experiences together.
http://video214.com/play/JytAvq2GYg1Myep7Ozeh2Q/s/dark




3 comments:

  1. What an amazing arrangement! You are the band leader today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!, What a life experience! Congratulations. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful, poignant display of your insight and your beautiful heart! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!