Monday, July 15, 2013

Not just an American Educator

Prior to traveling out of America, I understood that global learning was important and relevant in today’s society and educational system. After recently traveling to Brasil, I learned that it was much more than that. Global education has to be a necessary and purposeful integration into our perspective and curriculum of which we share with our students and peers. I entered Brasil as an American Educator, and I returned home an inspired Global Educator- one who seeks to educate and learn from people of all ages in all parts of the world. I seek to understand people by working with them; I strive to teach others by empowering them to collaborate and strengthen each other's gifts. It is crucial that we not only realize the power that lies in understanding other cultures, systems, resources, and arts all over the globe, but it is more important that we share this understanding with others. When we gain an understanding of others’ values, beliefs, and culture, we are able to make a true connection. It is in this connection that education takes place.

In the coming days, I will share stories and photos from this incredible trip with you. I have processed, I have reflected, and I have recharged. For days, I tried to find a way to share each day with you by using words and photos. I finally realized why it wasn't working. This experience had nothing to do with an agenda of events and the details that went along with it. It had to do with the people I met, the things I learned, and the things I want to share with others. 

I invite you to follow me on this new journey in my career: being an educator that desires to better the education of not only America, but the entire globe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!